- Op-Ed: Illinois Education Association President responds to ProPublica Illinois and the Chicago Tribune report on isolated timeout roomsSPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Education Association (IEA) today released the following op-ed from IEA President Kathi Griffin: “A Nov. 19 article published by ProPublica Illinois and the Chicago Tribune, outlined the practice of using isolated timeout rooms in Illinois – and in some instances – wrongly using those spaces for punishment. Some of the circumstances […]
- High school student detained by ICE, local educator starts fundraiserCRYSTAL LAKE – Illinois Education Association member Sara Huser started a GoFundMe page to raise money for the fight to free her student from Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials. Huser met Meydi Guzman Rivas at Crystal Lake Central High School where Huser works as a school counselor. “We can do better for our students. […]
- IEA calls for end to seclusion rooms, workgroup to study solutions that value safety, restorative practicesSPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Education Association (IEA) said Wednesday the practice of using seclusion rooms – where students are placed alone in a room and observed from the outside by an adult – should no longer be used. Instead, a workgroup should be formed to look at alternative, long-term solutions that value safety and restorative […]
- District 228 teachers publicly post offer after contract negotiations stall, take initial step toward strikeMIDLOTHIAN – The members of Bremen High School District 228 Joint Faculty Association (BHSD228-JFA) submitted the organization’s last contractual offer to the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board (IELRB) for public posting. By law, once the IELRB posts the last best offers from D228-JFA and the Bremen High School District 228 Board of Education (BOE) on […]
- Illinois Education Association wins Emmy for IEA Teacher StoriesCHICAGO – The Illinois Education Association (IEA) last weekend won an Emmy at the 61st Annual Chicago/Midwest Regional Emmy Awards. The IEA won for Outstanding Achievement for Public/Current/Community Affairs Programming – Series for IEA Teachers Stories. The composite entry featured three IEA members: Susan Hudson from Thornwood High School in South Holland, Gladys Marquez from […]
- Education Support Staff will pack board meeting, encourage school board to come back to the bargaining tableONEIDA – Members of the ROWVA Support Education Association (RSEA) will pack tonight’s Community Unit School District 208 Board of Education (BOE) meeting. An RSEA spokesperson also plans to read a statement to help educate the public about the negotiation process during the public comment portion of the BOE meeting. The last bargaining session was […]
- Episode 23: IEA RetiredIn this episode we discuss IEA Retired with our special guest Jim Duffy, Chair of the IEA Retired Council, and Kim Riley, IEA Retired Paraprofessional.
- Legislative Update for Nov. 14, 2019The 2019 veto session wrapped up this week and the IEA had several big victories for public education and public unions, including around the issues of collective bargaining rights, paraprofessional certification and individualized education programs (IEPs) reporting requirements. SB 1784 protects the privacy of public employees, affirms collective bargaining rights and clarifies dues deduction procedures. […]
- IEA passes legislation to combat paraprofessional shortage in Illinois schoolsSPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Education Association (IEA) worked to pass legislation that will give people additional avenues to become licensed paraprofessionals in Illinois. Both the Illinois House of Representatives and the Illinois Senate have voted to pass Senate Bill 10 (SB10), and the legislation immediately became law. “We knew we needed to do something to […]
- IEA helps pass legislation to reaffirm workplace rights for employeesSPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Education Association (IEA) worked alongside several unions to pass Senate Bill 1784 (SB 1784) to help protect the privacy of public employees, affirm collective bargaining rights and to clarify dues deduction procedures. SB 1784 passed both legislative chambers and now heads to Governor JB Pritzker’s desk for his signature. This legislation […]
- Statement from IEA President Kathi Griffin regarding court ruling in fair share fee caseSPRINGFIELD — The Illinois Education Association (IEA) released the following statement regarding the Seventh Circuit Court’s decision in the Mooney vs. IEA case. In light of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in the Janus v. AFSCME case, Stacey Mooney had been seeking to recoup fair share fees paid to the IEA. On Tuesday, the court rejected […]
- IEA Awards – Nomination deadlines extended to Jan. 15Nominate a fellow IEA member for one of these 9 awards.
- MEDIA ADVISORY: District 228 educators, community, IEA members to rally for a fair contractWear blue and stand in support of BHS-D228-JFA bargaining team ahead of mediation session.
- New teacher contract agreement means big wins for Mendota elementary students, public educationMENDOTA – Tonight, the Mendota Education Association (MEA) elementary and middle school teachers officially got a new contract. The MEA voted to ratify the contract on Sat., Oct. 26, and tonight the Mendota District 289 Board of Education (BOE) also voted to ratify the agreement. “This is an amazing contract. We fought hard to get […]
- Op-Ed: Illinois Education Association President responds to ProPublica Illinois and the Chicago Tribune report on isolated timeout rooms